S-U-D-A-N – “SUDAN” – the Arabic meaning of which is “An Area of the Sub-Saharan Africa.” The name is from the oldest part of the world, from a land of mystery and pageantry.
Joseph F. Rhem
Within the book, “The Great Light of Masonry”, that lies upon the altar of every Masonic Lodge, are these words: “For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday, when it is past, and as a watch in the night.” Therefore, the first few years of Sudan’s organization would be but a second of time to those who were the great builders of Sudan. The first few years were filled with days and weeks of trials and tribulations, yet they were also filled with many hours of pleasure and companionship. Quite frequently great movements can be traced to a brilliant idea in the mind of one man, a dreamer perhaps, who possessed an innate desire for a better environment, for better opportunities to cement fraternal relationships. To create the new and to preserve the best of the old have been the genius of America. Such a genius was the heart of one of New Bern’s most beloved citizens, Noble Joseph F. Rhem, in the second decade of the twentieth century when he initiated steps to have a Shrine Temple located in New Bern to serve the eastern half of North Carolina.
He was a member of Oasis Shriners of Charlotte and that Temple graciously assumed the responsibility of sponsorship, and is known as the “Mother Temple” of Sudan.
Dispensation for the establishment of Sudan was received July 13, 1916, and formal institution ceremonies were held four months later on November 22, 1916, at 2:30 pm. Tremendous interest had already been manifested, evidenced by the fact that on the day of institution there were 106 candidates and 30 affiliates received into membership. The Special Deputy of the Imperial Potentate installed the first officers, administering to them the obligations and oath of their office. The Commission of the Imperial Potentate was read by Illustrious G. T. Bryan, Past Potentate of Oasis Shriners. Among those installed and obligated with the vows of their office by Noble W. S. Lydell, Special Deputy of the Imperial Potentate, were the first Potentate, Noble Alexander B. Andrews, Jr., of Raleigh; Chief Rabban J. C. Braswell; Assistant Rabban W. A. French; High Priest and Prophet W. G. Branham; Oriental Guide W. R. Smith; Treasurer C. D. Bradham (founder of the original Pepsi Cola Company); the first Recorder of Sudan Temple Joe F. Rhem; First Ceremonial Master J. H. Anderson; Second Ceremonial Master R. C. Dunn, Marshall J. T. Lassister; Captain of the Guard F. N. Bridgers; Outer Guard E. C. Toepleman.
On May 24, 1917, Sudan held its first Spring Ceremonial in Rocky Mount, with 125 candidates crossing the “Hot Sands” and created Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, and 14 affiliates were elected. Then came the great day, the day of presentation of the Charter, which had been granted at Minneapolis by the Imperial Council at its Session on June 26, 1917. On September 26, 1917, Sudan Temple, UD, was opened in form with all officers filling their respective stations. Potentate A. B. Andrews stated that the meeting was called to receive the Charter from the Imperial Council, Past Potentate R. S. Rhineheart of Oasis Temple, Special Representative of Potentate Charles E. Devonshire, presented the Charter and constituted Sudan Temple.
Now, at last, Sudan was in business for itself. Now, at last, Joe Rhem’s dream had come true. The first order of business was election of officers, with the original Divan elected and appointed. Knowing that the Recorder’s job would be a fulltime position, Noble L. I. Moore made a motion that Recorder Joe Rhem be paid an annual salary of $750.00.
World War I had ended in Europe. The enthusiasm which Joe Rhem and Potentate Andrews had engendered along with the help of many other Nobles was at a high level. Sudan was really beginning to take its place in the activity of Shrinedom in eastern North Carolina. Indicative of the interest and enthusiasm was one of the largest Ceremonials ever held in Sudan, this being on May 18, 1919, in Wilson, when Noble W. H. French of Wilmington was Potentate. Initiated were 458 candidates, the largest class in the history of Sudan. Illustrious Potentate C. C. Hunt of Mecca Temple, New York City, the Mother Temple of all Shrinedom, conferred the ritualistic work.
Much of the success Sudan has enjoyed can be attributed to the fact that in its years of existence it has had only (11) Recorders, and one of those had the distinction of serving for twenty-five years. Charlie Seifert was elected Recorder in 1932 when the Temple had a membership of only 2,382. He was a promoter of the highest order, constantly thinking of new ways and means to attract candidates into the Shrine. At the time of his retirement in 1957 the Temple’s membership had climbed to 6,216. At his retirement he was elected Recorder Emeritus, which position he occupied until his death.
It is interesting to note that in the year 1921, Sudan showed a total net gain of 310 members. Annual dues during the year 1924 were $7.00, of which $2.00 was an assessment for the Crippled Children Hospitals. In the early days, many of those attending Ceremonials away from New Bern would travel by pullman train, leaving from New Bern for the city of the Ceremonial and returning.
Sudan suffered a great loss when on March 21, 1924, its first and beloved Recorder Dr. Joseph Franklin Rhem passed away at his home, in the midst of a life of usefulness and activity. Noble Rhem had served as Worshipful Master of his Lodge, High Priest of his York Rite Chapter, Thrice Illustrious Master of the Council and Eminent Commander of St. John’s Commandery No. 10 as well as Venerable Master, Wise Master, Master of Kadosh of the Scottish Rite, and honored in 1915 with the 33rd Degree. He served as Grand High Priest of the Grand High Chapter, Grand Master of the Grand Council and Grand Commander of Knights Templar and was also Junior Grand Deacon of the Grand Lodge of North Carolina. He was created a Noble of the Mystic Shrine in Oasis Temple in 1906, and in 1911 was elected Potentate. He began looking into the organization of Sudan in 1915 and worked diligently until its formation. He was the unanimous choice for Recorder and filled the position well as attested to the growth of Sudan, with its membership near the 3,000 mark at his death. He was very active in the formation of the Sudan Widows Fund, serving as Secretary and Treasurer from its organization. The vacancy created by the death of Noble Rhem was filled by election of Noble Caleb D. Bradham of New Bern. (Pepsi-Cola Inventor)
The annual Business Meeting of the Temple held in New Bern on December 5, 1917, showed that even then Sudan had a great interest in the welfare of those less fortunate than themselves. The Temple voted to make a donation to Oxford Orphanage and the Masonic and Eastern Star Home. It was realized that for a Temple to be one of activity and one that would create enthusiasm it would be necessary that Ceremonials other than those held in New Bern for the annual Business Meeting be held in cities throughout the jurisdiction of the Temple, and when possible, the Spring Ceremonial would be held in the home town of the Potentate.
The meeting of December 27, 1918, saw a motion made and carried for a committee to be appointed by the Potentate to look into the advisability of organizing a Widows' Fund, this to help the wife of a deceased Noble, to give her relief when help was most needed. In the meeting at Wilson on May 8, 1919, the committee appointed reported favorably and a resolution was offered and adopted to organize a Widows’ Fund.
On February 7, 1919, Sudan was opened for the express purpose of receiving its first official visitation from the Imperial Potentate Elias J. Jacoby. At a meeting held in Wrightsville Beach, NC on September 1, 1919, the committee appointed to investigate the purchase of home for Sudan recommended purchasing the property offered Sudan by Margaret D. Nelson. It was voted to purchase the property for the sum of $42,500.00, one-half to be cash and one-half to be Liberty Bonds. The first Temple Home was of colonial design located on the beautiful Neuse River and at the site of the present temple, and remained the official home of Sudan until the year 1957. At the same meeting in 1919, the Widows’ Fund was officially organized. Initiation fees were changed from $50.00 to $75.00 by amendment to the By-laws, this to be effective January 1, 1920. At the next meeting in Goldsboro on May 20, 1920, motion was made for the initiation fee to be increased to $100.00, and this was adopted.
The new and present temple was constructed adjacent to the old one and dedicated in 1951 under Potentate Marcus G. Carpenter. The office suite and dormitory addition to the facility was completed and dedicated in 1956 under Potentate Clarence H. Parker. This building is now one of the most unique in the quaint old City of New Bern, the colonial capital of North Carolina and said to be the smallest city in North America which one can obtain all the degrees of Masonry, the Blue Lodge, the Scottish Rite, the York Rite, and the Shrine, the Eastern Star and the White Shrine. Sudan was the 141st Temple to be chartered by the Imperial Council and now has over 5000 members. It is also the second largest temple in North Carolina and the fifth largest in the entire Shrine fraternity.
Activity must be the keynote of success for any worthwhile organization, and Sudan, even before it was chartered, was busily engaged in determining what Units it might create for the stimulation of interest among the Nobility, and for its popular recognition and acceptance by the general public. In 1917, the Sudan Patrol was organized as the first Uniformed Unit under Potentate Andrews with Noble William T. Hill as its first Captain, and it consisted of 33 members. In the early days, the Patrol performed many duties, such as exhibition drills as well as responsibilities that are now absorbed by the Provost Guard, to say nothing of conducting the initiation work in the second section. It is the oldest Unit and one in which Sudan has a justifiable pride.
Sudan Patrol 1921 - Raleigh, NC
In 1917, it was realized that no temple could hold a parade without a Band and Sudan wanted to parade. It also wanted another Unit to challenge the interest of its members. The Sudan Brass Band was organized in New Bern in 1917 with Noble Elmer Prunier as its first Director. The membership was growing, interest and enthusiasm was reaching new heights, and there was new talent and ability to be used. In 1923, Potentate R. C. Dunn organized the third Unit, the Drum and Bugle Corps in the City of Wilmington. The first Captain was Horace T. King, the father of a future Potentate of Sudan. As the Temple continued to grow, candidates were flocking to each Ceremonial and it was becoming evident that more Uniformed Units must be organized if the vast reservoir of enthusiasm was to be utilized; the Temple
Sudan Band 1919
was conscious that the Patrol was serving in too many different capacities and that a new Unit should be created to relieve the Patrol of some of its responsibilities. Consequently, in 1925, under Potentate F. N. Bridgers, Sudan gave birth to a new Unit known as the Wrecking Crew, every member of which was destined to be regarded by the candidates as possessing horns, a spiked tail, a pitchfork, and definitely never to be trusted. Noble Claude Chamberlain was its first Director, and from the moment of its birth, when it took over the direction of the second section of initiation, it became an indispensable part of each Ceremonial.
Years passed and Sudan continued to grow, with a growth not only of quantity but one of quality. In the year 1946, under Potentate N. E. Edgerton, the Chanters were organized as the fifth Unit with Noble S. Wait Bagley as its first Director. This group added much to every Ceremonial, creating an atmosphere of dignity, beauty, charm, harmony, and rhythm. The year 1947 was a banner year for Sudan when Noble William J. Bundy of Greenville was not only Illustrious Potentate, but also Grand Master of Masons in North Carolina. Two more Units were added to Sudan in 1947, the first being the Provost Guard, to assume some of the duties originally assigned to the Patrol. The first Captain was Noble James W. Brewer, who served as Grand Master in 1961 and served as Grand Treasurer of the Grand Lodge of North Carolina. The second Unit to be organized that year was the colorful Oriental Band, created in Fayetteville, with Noble Gilbert Honeycutt as its first Director. The Unit never fails to draw a crowd, and is called on many times to perform during the year. It has been said that distance is never too far for the Oriental Band to travel for a performance. Noble Arthur T. Moore, a former Director of the Oriental Band, was appointed Outer Guard in 1958 by Potentate Otis Banks and served as Potentate in 1967.
What would a circus be without clowns, and what parade is not made more colorful with them? What would a Shrine Temple, the fun-loving Nobility, be without clowns? A Clown Unit was organized in 1957 with Noble Ralph L. Fike of Wilson was Potentate. The town of Dunn was the center of its membership with Noble Paul L. Strickland, Jr., as its first Director. This Unit served Sudan well and deserves much credit because its members work hard at their job of creating entertainment for thousands of adults and children. They travel far and wide for activities other than Ceremonials. A Past Director of the Sudan Clown Unit, Noble J. W. Temple of Dunn, has served as President of the Southeastern Shrine Clown Association.
In the year 1957 Sudan added, unofficially, a very unique Unit. Its members do not parade but the work they do is a most portant phase of Sudan’s activities, and thousands benefit each year from the services they render, with the Temple saving large sums of money annually by their efforts. These are the men who prepare, cook, and serve the food for each Ceremonial. They quickly proved their worth and the following year Potentate Otis Banks asked that they be continued officially. The Chef Crew was then an official Unit of Sudan, beginning with 14 men under the director of Noble Alfred A. Kafer, Jr., who served as Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of North Carolina in 1967. The Chef Crew now consists of approximately 45 men and has reduced costs of food for Ceremonials by 50-60%, always serving a hot and balanced meal to several hundred people in not more than two hours time.
In 1962, under Potentate William A. Prince, the Motor Patrol was organized with John K. Ervin of Kinston as Captain. This is today one of Sudan’s most colorful, award winning Units and is constantly called on to provide entertainment in many rades other than those of the Shrine, with their intricate maneuvers on motorcycles. Also in 1962, the Legion of Honor was formed to be composed of men of military status, with Lt. Col. John E. Sundholm of Jacksonville as its first Commander. This Unit has added much to the success of the Temple’s growth and especially to its parades. In 1963 a group of Nobles from Wilson made application to form Sudan’s Horse Patrol, with Noble Carl Renfro as the first Captain. This Unit adds much to the color of Sudan with their Beautiful horses, fancy harnesses and unique silver saddles.
Originally, the members of the Temple Divan were assuming their respective stations in the First Section of the initiation, the ritualistic work. Due to many other duties and responsibilities invoked on the Divan members, it was necessary to organize a Ceremonial Cast to do this work. This has proven to be one of the best additions to Sudan, and with their most colorful regalia and their intent dedication to the work, the Ceremonial Cast does an outstanding job, always a most impressive part every Ceremonial.
The Turtle Patrol was organized in 1970 in the City of Washington. It is a unique Unit adding much to the color of the Shrine parades. The idea of this Unit was the results of the thousands of dollars received for Turtle membership cards sold, spearheaded by Tom Slate of Fayetteville, with all proceeds being turned over to the Crippled Children Activities. The String Band officially organized in 1971 under Potentate Donald Bell and is another very useful and colorful Unit, with their unique music that is most appealing to all Nobles and the public at large.
Another outstanding Unit is the Motor Escort of Fayetteville, a group of Nobles who ride late model Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic motorcycles in all Shrine parades, serving to escort dignitaries and performing numerous other duties. This Unit as rganized in 1973.
From Brunswick County in the year 1975 the Thunderbolts organized with miniature models of actual racing cars. These small racers were manufactured in Brunswick County especially for the Thunderbolts Unit and have proven one of the Sudan’s most colorful and exciting Units.
Also in the year 1975, the Keystone Kops of Jacksonville, North Carolina were organized and they have added much color, as well as a great deal of laughter to the Shrine activities, especially in the parades held during Ceremonials.
During the year 1976, another new Unit the Animated Animals was added from the Johnston County Shrine Club, which is he Smithfield-Selma area. Nobles from that area have costumes of various animal characters and continues to be a crowd please, especially for the children.
Sudan’s Uniformed Units are recognized far and wide for their color, their dedication to duties and their performances. They have received many trophies in competition, both regional and national. Sudan’s parades are looked forward to in every city in the jurisdiction of the Temple. The motorized Calliope, the antique motor vehicles, the musical Band Organ, the midget cars, and the additional mechanical units in various Uniformed Units, all add to the pomp and splendor of Sudan’s parades. Ceremonials are now covered by diversified Units in varied capacities, from food to drills, exhibitions, concerts, and police duty – this all goes to make Sudan’s Ceremonials outstanding in Shrinedom.
Activities – Charities
This history of Sudan would be incomplete were no mention made for the justification of its very existence, its participation in every worthwhile enterprise to provide income for the Children’s Hospitals and Burns Institutes. In 1948 Potentate Eric Bell of Wilson started the Sudan Bowl Game, first played for the benefit of Methodist and Oxford Orphanages. In 1953 Sudan changed from the high school teams of the Orphanages to the freshmen teams of State College and the University of North Carolina, played for the benefit of Shriners Hospitals. The Nobility enthusiastically supported the Bowl Game as well as the Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas in Charlotte, sponsored by the five Temples in North and South Carolina. From 1953 through 1966 a great amount of money was raised totaling over $150,000.00 contributed to the Endowment Fund of the Hospital at Greenville, South Carolina. In 1968, Sudan entered into the Senior College All-Star Football Game, with players selected rom seniors in the 19 major colleges in the State. This was gradually phased out due to terrific competition from other bowl games and television, but was successful each year during its heyday.
The 42 Shrine Clubs in Sudan’s jurisdiction have always enthusiastically supported all activities in behalf of Children’s Hospitals. The increase in contributions over the years is indicative of the serious concerns of the Nobility for this great philanthropy. In 1955 the total contributions amounted to more than $19,000.00, where in 1965 under Potentate Harvey Smith the figure reached the amazing sum of over $102,000.00, with a like amount realized in 1966 under Potentate T. Bruce Boyette of Wilson. Sudan is recognized in all Shrinedom as the FISH FRY CAPITOL OF THE WORLD. Sponsored by the various Shrine Clubs, thousands of pounds of fish are prepared and served annually, realizing thousands of dollars for Shriners Hospitals. From a humble beginning in Jacksonville, years ago, the fish fries are recognized in Shrinedom and by he public at large as an amazing example of “know how” and “how to do”, particularly in Sudan. There are many other sponsored activities, all of which raise additional funds for the work of the Shrine. Memorial donations in memory of deceased Nobles or friends have been responsible for many thousands of dollars for Shriners Hospitals.
During the year that Potentate Boyette served, 1966, a program of visitations to the various Shrine Clubs was made in which he presented a complete picture of the numerous activities of the Shrine, calling upon the Nobility to extend themselves in more productive efforts. The year 1967, under Potentate Arthur T. Moore of Fayetteville, was an outstanding year in our history. This was the first year of the All Star Football Game and was played in Carter Stadium in Raleigh. This was the year in which $121,000.00 was raised for our Hospitals, being the combined efforts of football games, club activities, memorial contributions, and others. The year 1967 was truly a great one in Sudan’s history, with Sudan being honored as the Number 1” Temple in all Shrinedom for having the largest net membership gain. The dream of Joe Rhem many years ago had become a reality.
It is interesting to note that through the long years of Sudan’s history, the Temple has had only (10) Recorders. The first, of which mention has been made, was that great Mason and Shriner, Noble Joe Rhem. Following his death, Noble Caleb Bradham (inventor of Pepsi-Cola) was elected and served during his passing. Then, that other great Mason and Shriner, Charlie Seifert, was elected in 1932 to serve as Recorder for 25 years. The membership in Sudan more than doubled during his tenure. When he retired in 1957, Past Potentate Lester H. Gillkin was elected as Recorder and served until his death in 1959. Another Past Potentate, Ed Rooker, was elected and served for a few months and was forced to resign due to his health in May of 1960. On August 1, 1960, Nelson Banks was appointed by Potentate O. G. Sawyer to serve as Recorder and was elected by the Temple in January of 1961. He served as President of the Imperial Shrine Recorders’ Association of North America in 1972-1973. The first Sudan Recorder to be elevated to a position of national recognition. He also served as Secretary – Treasurer of the Association until his death on January 2, 1982. In January 1979, R. Ray Harrison joined the Temple staff as Administrative Assistant to the Recorder and upon Noble Bank’s death was appointed on January 17, 1982, by Potentate Robert W. Safrit, Jr. to serve as Recorder and was elected by the membership on Jan. 23, 1982.
(Click here to learn about Noble Bradham)
In August of 1990, Noble R. A. “Rick” Welborn joined the Shrine Staff as Recorder Harrison’s Administrative Assistant and worked for approximately 2 ½ years when Recorder Harrison decided after (11) years of service to retire. Noble Welborn ran for the position and was elected as Sudan’s eighth Recorder in January 1993, where he served as the Shrine fraternity’s youngest Recorder ever (age 32 - 35) for the next 3 years when he decided to step down, in January 1996.
At this point Sudan’s former Chaplain, Noble James Coile decided to run, was elected and served an approximate 3-year tenure through December 1998. When Sudan’s present Recorder, Noble B. F. “Benny” Smith was appointed by then Potentate John Cox to fill his unexpired term through January 1999. Noble Smith was subsequently elected and served until Jan. 2014. George L. Raecher was elected in Jan. 2014.
Great Names in Sudan’s History
It is appropriate that we mention a few of Sudan’s other favorite sons who have wrought well in the quarries of Shrinedom.
Noble William C. Woodard of Rocky Mount was Potentate of Sudan in 1941 and President of the Southeastern Shrine Association at the same time. He appointed Noble Sam S. Toler, Jr., of Rocky Mount in the Divan line of the Temple, who served as Potentate in 1950 and was also elected as President of the Southeastern Shrine Association in 1962. During Noble Toler’s administration as Potentate, one of Sudan’s most eminent members, Hubert McNeill Poteat, A Past Grand Master of Masons in North Carolina, was installed as Imperial Potentate of the Shrine of North America. This was in Los Angeles and Sudan made it’s greatest pilgrimage for this occasion, the pilgrimage consisted of 257 members making the trip by a special train of 17 pullman cars, at a cost to the Temple of $87,000.00. Sudan again made an intensive effort later to place another of its favorite sons on the Imperial Divan, and in 1968 Past Potentate Harvey Ward Smith was elected to the office of Imperial Outer Guard, to eventually become Imperial Potentate of the Shrine of North America. Unfortunately, Imperial Sir Smith passed away in 1976 just two years shy of serving the Shrine fraternity in this illustrious capacity.
The sons of Sudan have also established an outstanding record in demonstrating the close relationship between the Shrine and ancient Craft Masonry. Many of Sudan’s Potentates have served as Grand Masters of Masons in North Carolina. The first Captain of the Provost Guard, James W. Brewer, served as Grand Master; the first Director of the Chef Crew, A. A. Kafer, Jr., was Grand Master; Robert N. Bass, Divan Member to serve as Potentate in 1973, has served as Grand Master; Robert L. Pugh of the Temple Divan has been Grand Master. Other Grand Masters include Nelson B. Banks, Recorder and Past Potentate Edward Allen; Past Potentate Charles A. Harris, who is has also served as Grand Secretary of the Grand Lodge; Past Potentate William J. Bundy served as Grand Master at the same time he was Illustrious Potentate; and Past Potentate Harvey Ward Smith and L. R. “Pete” Thomas. Sudan is indeed proud of the prominent sons who have done so much for Shrinedom.
Keep it Spotless, Noble!
The fez attracts not simply because it is a fez. It is because the world knows the wearer is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
The Mason knows that the fez covers the head of one who has submitted his name, character and himself, to the test of the ballot no less than three times. He knows that he has been received and honored by the brethren. Three times, possibly more, have Masons believed the best of him and given him the benefit of any doubt that may have existed as to his worthiness.
To Masons and Masonry, therefore, the fez-topped Shriner owes it to act, walk and conduct himself as Masonry teaches. To Masonry he owes the fact, that he is a Shriner. May his words and actions ever prove that he is mindful of that debt.
If the Shriner values the fez he should never take it where he would not take his wife, mother or daughter. If he feels honored in the title of Noble, let him show it by continuing in the same paths as he trod a Mason. Every time a Shriner strays from the path, it is a Mason straying. Every time a Shriner brings reproach on his fez-covered head, he spots his apron.
A Brief History of the Fez
The fez, which we Nobles of the Shrine have the honor and privilege of wearing, has been handed down to us through the ages. The red, or Scarlet, fez, official headwear of the Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, derives its name from the original place of its manufacture, the holy city of Fez in Morocco, and dates back to about 980 A.D.
In that day, the city of Fez was the seat of learning, drawing pupils and scholars from all parts of the world. Besides being a holy one, it also was the center of manufacturing, which included silks, sashes, carpets, leathers and headdresses. The last-names were known as fezzes, so named for that city. The fez was dyed red or scarlet and became the symbol as a mark of learning, in favor of the wearer, and only the highest dignitaries were permitted to wear the red hat, or fez.
In the Orient this prevails even to the present. As the glory of the city of Fez faded, the manufacture of the fez for use in southern Europe and Northern Africa now is confined chiefly to Austria, France and Turkey.
History Marches On
The dream that began in the fertile mind of Joe Rhem many years ago has had a glorious history in service to all mankind. That torch was lit at a sacred altar, and it has been nurtured with care. Its flame has been fed by the universal demand for fellowship on a common ground associated with the divine inspiration to extend a helping hand to the suffering, physically challenged children of humanity.
May the Nobility of Sudan continue to look to Allah for divine guidance and direction as they continue their efforts in solemn dedication to the fundamental principles which have led them through such experiences of progress and which have brought them so gloriously to this point in history. May this divine wisdom continue to lead, direct and inspire the Nobles of Sudan as they now march forward to even greater success in the future.
“I pledge allegiance to my flag and to the country for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.”
Shriners believe in God and that He created man to serve His purposes, among which is service to others in His name.
We believe that care for the less fortunate, especially children who suffer from burns and crippling diseases, is our institutional calling.
We are patriots, each willing to serve his country with fidelity and courage. We cherish independence under law and freedom with responsibility.
We honor family. We respect our parents, wives and children. We should instill in our children the tenets of this creed, and the heritage from which it emanates.
As individuals we pledge ourselves to integrity, virtue and nobility of character. Our intentions will be honorable, our relations will be trustworthy and our spirits forgiving of each other.
As brothers we offer each other fraternal affection and respect. Together we will support each other in adherence to this creed, so that we and our communities will be the better because of our fraternity and its principles.
As Shriners we look beyond ourselves to serve the needs of others, especially children who cannot help themselves. We believe Shriners Hospitals to be the world's greatest philanthropy, and we covenant with each other to support its " temples of mercy" with spirit, time, talent and means.
Shriners..Having Fun & Helping Kids